Although all couples entering into a marriage are set into a life-long agreement, many marriages today unfortunately end in martial separation, or divorce. Individuals who own a large estate or hold many assets may choose to draw up a marital separation agreement either before (premarital) or during the marriage (post-marital).

Premarital Agreements

If a couple chooses to get a divorce, the separation may cause contestation based on the division of property and assets. A premarital agreement can prevent this by providing control of the division of your estate during amicable circumstances.

The “prenup” is a written record of assets and debts of each spouse at the time of the marriage that can be presented to a divorce judge as indisputable proof of the spouse’s property. Having a premarital agreement in place before the marriage can save you money, time, and stress should a divorce be necessary in the future.

Post-Marital Separation Agreements

A post-marital agreement, also called a “partition agreement,” divides the married couple’s community estate into two separate estates. All of the assets and debts of the couple are identified and separated based upon their wishes, and a judge may not divide the spouse’s separate property in the event of a divorce. There is no time constraint as to when a married couple can create a post-marital separation agreement, and the effects of the document are much the same as the premarital agreement.

Contact Our Houston, Texas Divorce Attorney

If you are considering a pre- or post-marital separation agreement, contact Deborah L.Thompson, Attorney at Law. She has over 13 years of experience as a Houston, Texas family law attorney and is well-versed in all aspects of divorce, separation agreements, and other aspects of family law. With her passion, persistence, and perseverance, Deborah L.Thompson, Attorney at Law will help you with all of your family law needs. Contact Attorney Thompson today to discuss your Houston, Texas premarital or post-marital agreement.

Call 713-532-6272 to schedule a consultation to draft your marital separation agreements!